Thursday, October 14, 2010

Circumference of a Thought...or naught

   There is a pile of papers to go through on my kitchen counter, enough that when the boys eat I have to remind them all day not to get food on the, "pile" but I am going to sit here and write about concussions because anything, even this topic is more fun than going through the mail and bills and junk and bits of random stuff from all over the house. For someone who does not build things why oh why do I always have screws and nails in my pile of leftovers from tiding the house?
    The most exciting thing that has happened in my life recently was when my son got a concussion, I know, I should get out more and I am thinking he should get out less but hear me out.
   We were at these little sand hills with rubber mats on them and the boys were jumping their bikes off the top. I was over on the other side of the hill with the baby and did not see but heard the thump crunch of one of them crashing once again. Apparently he jumped and landed then went off over his handle bars right onto the top of his helmet. (It would probably help if he stood on his pedals instead of throwing his feet off the pedals and sitting on his seat as his bike hauls him through the air). But what do I know!

Incase you are wondering or have 3 boys like I do here is some pertanant information:
That -disclaimer- should not replace the advice of your Doctor.

When one gets a concussion the first 12 hours are the most dangerous. Wake up concussion-ed every hour if they are sleeping and make sure their pupils dilate in both eyes at the same rate.
Keep constant surveillance for first 12 hours
Keep close surveillance for first 24 hours
Make sure they know people, place and time.
Can take Tylenol for pain,
Don't take anything to keep food down as it can make one drowsy
Arnica homeopathic remedy worked well for pain

Rush to the hospital if:
Person does not wake up
Has different sized pupils
Is projectile vomiting
Has a fever
Has blood coming out of nose or ears
Has any fluid coming out of nose or ears

It's OK if:
They want to sleep
They are throwing up
Their head really, really hurts
They feel dizzy but can still walk
They are not hungry

   I can remember, amazingly enough, getting a concussion when I was about 11 years old. I was riding my horse and jumped across a ditch onto a gravel road and somehow landed right on top of my helmet, (It would probably have helped if I stood in the stirrups instead of throwing my feet out to the side and sitting on my saddle as my horse hauled me through the air). But what did I know!
   I can remember just wanting to sleep and sleep and I did, for 3 days! My mom kept waking me up and it was so annoying to me because I just wanted to sleep and she would make me touch my toes and put my chin on my chest and random stuff like that and all I wanted to do was sleep and sleep and sleep and she would bring me plate after plate piled with beef and gravy and I would eat maybe 3 mouthfuls before I was sleeping again and she kept turning on movies and kept me on the couch probably hoping that the noise would wake me up but I just slept and slept. My friend was visiting from out of town and she went home horrified and told her mom that I had died and that my Mom was just leaving me on the couch.

2 comments:

  1. So there it is, the list is there for the next time.
    Note Ethan was wearing a helmet and so were you. I had to throw yours out - how's Ethan's?
    PS The horse was fine and so was the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent pictures! This could be one of those commercials you see, "The MOAR you know." ;)

    ReplyDelete