Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Circumference of a Thought on Life and Death

   Of Life and Death. In this world which we live in these words are always kept as far apart as possible. Two conflicting ideas which we foolishly think will never meet and should never be mentioned as having relation to one another. Just writing them I think I must now knock on wood or throw salt over my shoulder. Life and Death opposites or friends? So close together yet viewed as so far apart.
   I can only look at this in one direction, in the direction of bringing life into the world. I have brought three children into this world, all thankfully at home with no interventions. Allowing me to fully experience the power and understanding of birth, an experience that I highly treasure and would not trade for the world.
  Power yes, undeniable power, the strength of the human body is truly amazing. The ability of ones own body to contract so completely and so naturally with no thought put into the matter except that you would love for it to stop contracting. This is remarkable, especially when you are pregnant and are pretty sure you don't have a muscle left in your entire mid-section.
   At first you think there is no hope of mind over matter, as your entire logical mind is telling your body to stop this now! But then you start to understand that it is mind over matter and you accept the fact that, yes this is going to hurt and, yes this is going to be the hardest thing you have ever done. But it is completely doable and you want to see this little baby more than anything and you say to your body, "bring it on"! And it does and wow how much raw power is in one woman? Only woman knows.
   In my labors I always arrive at a point where I don't want to go any further I feel like I have given all I can and all I have and it's scary to go further. To go further into the unknown, further into the pain, further into what seems like nothingness yet to get past you have to accept and greet this passage into the unknown. The more I think on it I think of it as death and not as we see death but as a complete surrender of giving over of oneself to this power that is a part of each woman lending us true understanding and knowledge and I meet death and death is kind and is hope of the purest kind. Then I am past, death parts and life is won. I meet new life with a grateful and much needed view of the fragile nature of life and of hope not fear.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent post Sarah. I love reading your point of view. :) It made me think of one of my favorite quotes:

    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity--it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it, a jealous, possessive love that grabs at what it can. But life leaps over oblivion lightly, losing only a thing or two of no importance, and gloom is but the passing shadow of a cloud." - Life of Pi, Yann Martel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah I love your description of labor and the realization of the point of no return. Those are memories a woman never forgets but it's good to be reminded. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete