Friday, July 20, 2012

Corn-you-cope-ee-ah


   I took the boys for a bike ride down the russian roulette highway, also known as the Kent-Kangley, it's basically a freeway with a sidewalk on it - but it was worth the risk as the Dragon Boat Races were happening and we could hear the drums from our house.
   I was on my way home from illegally stealing unwanted, unkept raspberries with a friend at an abandoned homestead. Don't ask I'm not giving out the location they are mine, all mine. 
   On my way home I noticed there were many people walking to the Lake so I expected a crowd, after all Kent Cornucopia Days of Dragon Racing sounded like an event not to be missed. I was slightly misled as 90 percent of the walkers swarming to the lake, I realized later, were carrying a paddle so they were in fact not there to enjoy the cornucopia of excitement but to paddle in the early morning fog. 
   We hopped on our bikes and made it in time to watch match #3 of most likely 300. 
  The boats were fun to see with their dragon heads bobbing along in the water. The drums would beat and the paddlers would yell and sprint for the finish line. I thought it was exciting, Ethan and Matthias were intrigued by a sport that involved standing in boats and yelling. 
   Unfortunately the races did not hold much interest for children three years and younger. Fortunately there is a park at the park (you never know) so we went and played there for a while after we watched about four races. 

Dragon Boat Pep-talk "redundant I say" Who needs a pep talk while riding in a DRAGON boat? 

In unison paddling, drumming and yelling

 Contemplating ways to practice yelling in unison

This is how Dragon Boat Warrior babies smile





 Finding ways to make laundry day more exciting for me, note combination of lake, lake-weed and pockets.

 Just incase you forget your expensive amazing designer paddle-wouldn't that be like forgetting your horse at a horse show?...


 we supply a true cornucopia of paddles and life jackets. Complements of Kent Parks. 

 


Trying to watch the Dragon Boat races Pirate Style!


No comments:

Post a Comment