Thursday, July 19, 2012

To swim or not to swim.

   The three boys enjoyed 8 days of swimming lessons, scratch that, the two boys enjoyed 8 days of swimming lessons. 
   The youngest swimmer didn't know if he wanted to sit on my lap or be in the water. I don't really blame him, his teacher was on a mission to get these three year olds swimming in the next summer olympics. 
   She came up to me and told me she had some advice for me, that when he cries and does not want to put his ears/head in the water she does not want me to come to the side of the pool, in fact it would be better if I sat on the other side of the pool, facing away and with earplugs as she can just take him and make him. Hahaha...hahaha...
   Benjamin and I had an agreement. He could either do lessons now, or wait till he was older, he didn't have to put his ears in the water but if he got out of the pool during his lesson he could not get back in later. So he would cry at the side of the pool when they wanted him to swim on his back but he never wanted to leave. 
I told his teacher that I didn't care if he played in the 2" of water in the shallow end for half an hour, I just wanted him to have fun and want to come back for lessons next time or in this case ever again. 
   My advice for said teacher is not to get a class of 3 year olds, float them on their backs the first day and end by dropping them in the water, kind of kills teacher student trust when each child there has a near drowning experience at the hands of their teacher on the first day. 
I was amazed Benjamin wanted to continue with the class. I have a theory that he didn't want to give up his twice daily personal elevator ride complete with pushing all the buttons.
   He had a great time about 75 percent of the time or in other words when he was not required to float on his back, swim on his back, splash his ears or get his head wet. 
The magical Elevator of LL and STAR
Keeping his distance from the backstroke 

The 2 older boys had a great time and learned lots of new swimming styles, goggle wearing styles and diving styles. 



Diving and swimming in the Deep Pool..very deep pool 17.5ft



Kick and...
Splash!

That's right, if Hawkeye had kids this is what they would look like at swimming lessons. 

 Upside down or right side up it's not candy. 
I'm sure I can see the spark of accomplishment somewhere in his little wet head. 



1 comment:

  1. Said story needs to be told - thanks for the telling :)

    PS love the hawkeye pose.

    ReplyDelete