Thursday, January 27, 2011

Patriotic Eh?

  
   Attended a very patriotic event. Which is very out of my league. I being a legal alien of this country for the next 12 years, at which point I must either renew my card or become illegal. I never really know how to patriotically stand. As I am officially in Cub Scout uniform I am supposed to stand with my right hand to my eyebrow but if one is an alien they are to stand at attention without the salute but it doesn't say anything about what to do if you are an alien in uniform and then there is also the whole hand over the heart option which I don't think I qualify for either so I am at a total loss. Instead of switching off between the three I stand there looking American and feel very undecided and Canadian about the whole thing.
   The Cub Scouts put on a very nice Outdoor flag ceremony and since my son is a Cub Scout and I am a assistant leader we all went to see how it is done. I took a bunch of photos but feel there is an unspoken rule about posting photos of other children's faces on the internet.
  The boys took down the flag, folded it and put it back up. I was having a hard time getting a shot with all the boys in the picture thank you, thank you to the spider found on the flag which got them all up close and looking very intently and seriously at the flag = perfect photo!
  The flag made it down and up without ever touching the ground, and to think I ever doubted 8 year old boys. At least my faith has been restored in the rising generation and their abilities, I think I have been much to slack on my 8 year old's chore list.
  The outdoor ceremony was held at the local cemetery. I think the silence and somberarity of the place added to the effect. Apparently a cemetery is a great place for beginner drivers to practice and, no, not for convenience but for safety; honestly who can you hurt? But the fear of driving over someone is still present. I think it's a great idea.

2 comments:

  1. Must keep a spider in camera bag for such occasions.
    Thanks again Sarah - Grandma and I enjoyed your comments - she was quite impressed that they did it without the flag touching the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH, I'm so proud of those little cub scouts!

    ReplyDelete