Thursday, January 20, 2011

to knit or knot

      I have been trying to remaster an old hobby that I started when I was young. This hobby has been handed to me, thrown at me and tangled me in it's clutches both times. The first when I was young and receiving my education, someone we knew knew how to knit so I learned how to knit. Ages later a gray lamb began to take shape though I mis-counted the rows so my lamb had a neck three times too long and always looked extremely front heavy but as is the nature of spending weeks, months possibly years making something it tends to grow on you so my odd gray lamb is tucked away somewhere on a remote Island in a blue trunk waiting for I'm not sure what. I don't think I would fix it now even though I know how.
   Recently I received a gift of knitting books and supplies from Nathan. I was doing some cross stitch during Christmas for a gift and he knew I enjoyed it. So being a thoughtful husband and wanting to get a surprise gift for me he decided to get me more stuff for knitting (he thought that's what I was doing when I was working on cross stitch). It was not until a few weeks before my Birthday that he asked me what I was doing but by then it was too late he already had the knitting gift. He asked me if I knew how to knit, I said I kind-of-did but didn't enjoy it. That gave him a few weeks to worry and time fret over his well thought out from the heart gift. But I have unintentionally been making Nate fret and worry for years so it is nothing new.
   I now have loads of knitting patterns and books by this awesome old lady named Elizabeth Zimmermann, if learning how to knit can make me a bit more like her then it is totally worth it.
   I already have much too much embroidery floss so knitting was a welcome change and has been an enjoyable challenge. I have pulled out more stitches than I have knit, strictly speaking that is not possible but I'm telling you knitting is miraculous in more ways than one. I find it both frustrating and liberating at the same time as I immensely enjoy starting experimental projects that don't turn out and liberating because it is so much easier and almost fun to pull out mistakes than with a seam ripper and a sewing machine.
I have managed to make slippers for the boys, which I am ninety-nine percent sure will turn out. I have had a hard time finding a leather hole punch in order to put the sheepskin on the bottom but I am fairly confident they will be warm and soft.
   Benjamin really likes a small polar bear I have made. I'm not so sure it is that great I think I'm scarred for life giving animals unnaturally long necks, though I may just be overly sensitive to the matter.
   I started my first actual pattern yesterday after a long stretch of unsuccessful experiments it's called a Moebius and if you don't know what that is, that is just fine as I will be posting a picture when I am finished I have 6 inches down and 54 left to go!

8 comments:

  1. http://www.eleathersupply.com/punches.shtml

    the third one down is what dave uses and they work great!!!! Happy knitting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go. Knitting has always scared me. I'm not sure if it the fact that you use both hands at the same time or the looong needles. Either way I am a chicken. I can't wait to see pictures. But you've peaked me interest so now i'm going to google Moebius. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just thought I would share with you. When posting the comment above the word verification was undomo. It made me think "Undo more".

    When Crocheting I always enjoy pulling more thread through me fingers. "Undo more"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I know Polaroid girl pictures, pictures! The slippers are not even finished so I can hardly show off my half completed work and I tried photographing the bear with no luck, I'll keep trying, he is just so un-photogenic!
    Journey-Thank you for the link-just what I was needing and I didn't know you had a blog!
    Elizabeth if you get too interested I have lots of books to get one started. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I had no idea Noah had any interest in knitting, and then Sarah calls him Polaroid girl...how strange!

    I am quite happy that my unintended gift turned out to be good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love finding the blogs of people I know unexpectedly. It was fun to see you all on your bikes by our place the other day.

    I'm a passable knitter, if you'd like someone to knit with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know where your long neck knitting comes from - all those horses, pick up wool and braid, braid, braid....

    ReplyDelete